Parkinson's disease in the last stages is not pretty.  I lost my father a
little over 2 months ago.  He rarely was sick a day in his life until his
late 50's when PD manifested itself.  At the age of 73 Parkinson's won.
 During the final stage of this disease, medication become virtually
ineffective.  My dear father was on one 250 mg Simenet in AM.  He was fed via
gastro-tube, he was suctioned every two hours, turned in bed every hour,
diapered, and oxygen therapy as well as physical therapy on his arthritic,
curled-in fingers was given every other day.  Once he could not swallow even
liquids, we chose not to let him starve but placed him on a feeding tube.
 This sustained life (if you could call it that) for a little over 2 years.
 During the last year, even the liquid Simenet caused severe cramping and
tylenol had to be administered prior to administration of the Simenet.
 Average cost for his care?  $36,000 a year. He received excellent care in a
nursing home, my mother tended to much of his needs daily.  I know what you
are feeling - helplessness.  But don't loose sight of hope.  Keep yourself
occupied with helping others with Parkinson's disease to convince legislators
to sign the Mo Udall Bill, motivate and educate healthcare providers in
daycare, skilled, and semi-skilled facilities on the importance of knowing
HOW and WHEN to care for a Parkinsonian.  Share your personal story with your
Senators and Representatives to support funding for research.  As you
participate online, know you are not alone.  Don't forget the struggle you
see, so that you will maintain the conviction to help others.- ByByBetty -
Child of Parkinsonian