following:

excerpt..

Another major change was made to that part of the reconciliation bill that
deals with Medicaid, the federal-state program that pays medical costs for
the poor, the disabled and thousands of elderlynursing home residents.

As originally drafted, the bill would have allowed states to seize the
money and property from the spouses and adult children of nursing home
patients to pay for their care before any Medicaid moneywould have gone to
help them. Current law prohibits tapping the resources of spouses and
adultchildren, and the latest revision would continue that practice.

Rep. Thomas S. Bliley, R-Va., who heads the House Commerce Committee,
announced this reversal from the provision, bitterly protested, in the bill
that his committee had approved.

"In the Commerce Committee, we pride ourselves on our ability to listen
and to make improvements in legislation when called for," he said in a
statement. "We should not risk a single American going to the poorhouse just
because a spouse or parent had to enter a nursing home."

Applause....

John Cottingham           "The parkinsn list brings Knowledge, Comfort,
                           Hope, and Friendship to the parkinsonian world."