>Do any of you have other suggestions?  That is to say, if you had it to
>do over, what would you have organized for yourself and your family
>before the diagnosis?  Thanks very much for your input.

   If I had it to do over?
   First would be to make certain that I qualified for the highest amount of
disability I could obtain. If you are not now, there will be a point where you
know you can no longer function at the high degree of performance necessary to
maintain your income. Too many folks, I think, wait far beyond that, only to see
the last quarters of their SS reflect a decrease in income - thus a decrease in
SS Disability income.
   Next would be to find doctors who KNOW what they are doing. PD is almost like
a playground for some doctors, who will throw everything they can think of at
the problem before giving up and sending you home with a pat on the back and a
bottle of Sinemet. I went through 30 different pills, horrible reactions, and
jangled nerves before anyone even mentioned PD. It was almost a relief to know
there was nothing else they could do.
   Find a doctor who is a positive thinker. Almost impossible, but a hell of a
lot better than the sad excuse for doctors who overdose and end up sending us to
bed long before we are ready. PD is forever, meaning that though we might be off
sometimes, most of the time everyhing is working and we can still be very
productive. Doctors need to promote more of the mental and environmental
positives as well as the physical. Most don't.
   And - have a long talk with your friends. You will find that many of them
will disappear, even after knowing everything that is going on with you. It's
only through your effort and continued contact that the most valued will stay
around. I'm sure there are some real psychological reasons for it, but it hurts
anyway. Make friends with those in a support group. Over the next few years,
they will become very important to you.