I am comfortable with animal research because I think it's part of human
nature to constantly seek 'improvement' with our lot, no matter what the
results.  Mankind was born to tinker.  Life on earth is one giant
'unscientific' experiment in planetary survival.  We will need all the
science we can get to make it through.

In terms of quality of life, Native Americans were probably far more advanced
than us despite shorter lifespans and limited health intervention.  I envy
the purity of their culture.  Certainly, respect is due for all manner of
life with which we share this world. Nonetheless, does saying a prayer for an
animal before you slaughter it lessen its suffering?  Obviously the prayer
does a lot more to assuage the hunter's conscience than that of the prey.

I remember watching a student in college who was removing adrenal glands in a
rat for some manner of experiment.  Actually, he just loved doing the surgery
for its own sake because his father was a famous surgeon and he intended to
become one himself. I remember thinking how cruel he was.  He was operating
for no better reason than practice.  He bragged about his skills as he worked
and I found his attitude repugnant.

Years later I learned that this obnoxious student became a world reknowned
surgeon who operated on human fetuses in the womb to correct life-threatening
problems.  I don't know if the world is better for his success in this area,
but I assume that there are quite a few parents who are thankful for his
early 'training'.

Fetal tissue surgery is a crude, but necessary, step in the progression of
Parkinson's treatment.  Eventually we will find a way to artificially culture
immature dopamine neurons from our own cells or other sources, but in the
mean time we require a reasonable source for these vital cells.  We need to
prove to the world that the procedure is practical and efficacious in order
to take the next step to develop a proper source.

The introduction of millions of new chemicals into the environment during the
twentieth century has opened a pandora's box of uncontrolled variables to
confuse our glorious experiment.  It would be entirely appropriate to apply
the brakes at this point and examine what we have wrought.  Tough to do.  In
the meantime we might as well use technology to improve quality of life where
we can.

If you think animal research is a difficult ethical issue, just hold on to
your hat for the questions arising out of genetic engineering.  Recently,
scientists achieved a breakthrough in breeding a mouse that develops
Alzheimer's.   It is one thing to induce a disease in an animal and then
sacrifice it mercifully once experiments are completed.  Are we taking a
giant step forward by engineering species that are born to suffer?  Other
brewing controversies: patented lifeforms, DNA supercomputers.  The list goes
on.

Still, I think it is part of our nature is to tinker with life and we must
learn to live within our nature.  We need to respect life and minimize
suffering as we clumsily work to improve our world.