I have proposed that those who are trying alternative,  unapproved, and
nonprescribed medications do so in such a manner as to enhance the
scientific meaning of their home trial.  Specifically, I have proposed
the use a form of the "double blind" procedure in order to eliminate the
placebo effect.

I thought that it would be useful to develop a database of the home
trials of various alternative treatments  (an example, NADH) if these
home trials conform to minimal scientific standards.  Inferences
concerning the value of such alternative treatments could be based on
these public data.

But a problem has been gnawing at me:  If a treatment relieves symptoms
via the placebo effect,  why debunk it?  Maybe, what we should do is
develop better, more effective, and longer lasting placebos, capable of
giving greater pleasure and/or relief to the afflicted, rather than to
spend our time demonstrating the truth that a certain treatment  has
little or no  effect other than that of a placebo.

Is it sensible to evaluate alternative treatments in order to know that
possibly Substance X has no effect after the placebo effect is eliminated?

My Halloween question is,  "Truth or Treat?"

The answer is not obvious.  Reminds me a little of Jack Benny's pause to
consider the robber's option, "Your money or your life?"

Do you have any answer?

Allan Netick  email    [log in to unmask]