I was diagnosed in November 1988,  but continued to serve in the NY
City Police Department as a captain untill June 1994 when I no longer
could safely perform my duties. At that time I was 55. I immediately
applied for SS disability, and was approved in February 1995. Payments
were retroactive except for the first three months. No lawyers were
involved. My major problem with Parkinson's is the "on/off" syndrome.
When I'm "off" I'm fairly dysfunctional even though when I'm "on," I'm
not to bad. Unfortunately, the "offs" are unpredictable and occur
several times a day. I've been told that the crucial factor in deciding
similar cases is age 55. Apparently SS has ruled that when you reach
that age you are "untrainable." They never told me why they decided in
my favor, just that I was approved. In any event, I wish you luck!
--
Bruce Hollenbeck