Hi"
My nane is Larry Bartlett and I am a new subscriber. I contracted Parkinsens
about three years ago and it seems to be progressing faster then I thought it
would. I am a accountant by profession and the disease has effected my right
side and I happen to be right handed so it makes it difficult for me to write
or do anything with my right hand. The docter and my employer suggested I go
on disability as it is now effecting my speech and short term memory. My
problem is this, my employer wants me to cut back to 4 hrs aday(my docter
agrees) at half salary, I have very little savings, and no retirement
benefits from my employer and I am 55 years old. I live in California and
think I can get some disibility benefits while still working part time but
for the long term my only hope is  Social Security Disability but I
understand you can not have any income to get approved and the process takes
a long time, which at this point I do not have a lot of (income wise) Has
anyone experienced this and do you have any advise.

Thank you.
Larry Bartlett [log in to unmask]

My advice to you is "to throw in the towel" which means that your doctor must
fill out a form from the state employment office with a definite diagnosis of
advanced PD and that you can no longer work not even parttme.

You must start applying for SSDI immediately thereafter because it can take a
full year before you are qualified to receive any SSDI money.
In my case, I applied for SDI state disablity insurance which paid benefits
immediately and lasted for exactly one year.  During that year I studied the
forms for SSDI and was successful on the first submission of my benefit
claim.  The SDI paid the rent etc.. while I gathered info for my SSDI claim.
 Careful preparation and critical review of my claim before submitting it
probably was the cause for getting it approved in record time, 6 months!

It is important to have full documentation of your symptoms which your
medical record should contain (but does not always) because doctors are lax.
  I spent a lot of time on the preparation and got advice from friends who
had been thru the process.

Good Luck, you will need help...

Jon D.Stedman   [log in to unmask]