Date:    Sat, 21 Oct 1995 07:27:57 -0400
From:    Lisa Carper <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: See CBC the Nature of Things

For those of us not in Canada, please share what you saw on the show.

>CBC Thursday night November 19  "the Nature of Things"
>Did anyone see the interesting segment on Parkinson's
>  and alternative medicine/ancient medicine.
>In my opinion the beans being harvested looked very like
>fava or broad beans which we know contain L-D.
>Any one out there quicker than me with the RECORD button?
>Any one know about this ancient Indian medicine?
>Anne Rutherford  St John's NF

What I saw.
The program I didn't tape was The Nature of Things, shown on CBC 19 Oct
95.
The general topic was 'nature provides substances which can be used to
treat illness'. Parkinsons was probably chosen because of the excellent
visual impact of the 'take up your bed and walk' variety.

First scene
A western parkinsonian in  the OFF state is given medication in pill
form.
Time goes by --maybe 30 minutes plus or minus.
He gets up and walks with a great big smile on his face.  (I know that
feeling)

Next scene is in India.
We are introduced to the ancient Ayervedic medicine which is still used
today.
A parkinsonian has great difficulty  with walking (and balance, I think)
He is given a drink made out of a powdered substance mixed with a liquid,
and we wait maybe half an hour .
The patient walks very well, moving quickly and with better posture.  He
also smiles.
During this segment we see the mucuna plants being harvested. and as I
said in my message the seeds  look very much like broad beans in the pod.
This topic ends and we go to another.

Recent postings  by other listmembers on this topic follow