Helen and everyone,

Just wanted to say  real quick-like, I agree with Jeff, in that the best way
we can thank those who have given their lives to research so that ours can be
improved is to first simply respect their gift for a gift rather than as our
just due as superior humans and then to make the most of our improved lives
and enlightened perspectives by giving back to those around us.  It's similar
to the gift I received when my youngest brother died of cancer  at 5.  I
wouldn't wish that fate on him any more/less than i would another human or
animal, altho'' I would have gladly switched places with him (pre-pd
anyway!).  But I did receive a gift of strength and love which now helps me
deal my own pd, and hopefully I can myself pass that gift on, and continue
the cycle of giving life.

WT

Before I go, I thought I'd share this, which I personally find beautiful, and
is hanging on the wall in front of me as I type:

We need another and a wiser and perhaps more mystical concept of animals.
Remote from universal nature, and living by complicated artifice, man in
civilization surveys the creature through the glass of his knowledge and sees
thereby a feather magnified and the  whole image in distortion.  We patronize
them for their incompleteness, for their tragic fate of having taken form so
far below ourselves.  And therein we err, and greatly err.  For the animal
shall not be measured by man.  In a world older and more complete than ours
they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have
lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.  They are not
brethren, they are not underlngs; they are other nations, caught with
ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and
travail of the earth.

from THE OUTERMOST HOUSE by Henry Beston