Dear Wendy and all,

Just wanted to say that i really liked the little story about respecting
the place animals occupy in the world.  There is a scientific metaphor
called the "Cosmic Calender" which compresses the entire history of the
universe into one year, allowing one to understand better the evolution of
life.  Life on Earth first stirred around 3.6 billion years ago, shortly
after the Earth's formation around 4.6 billion years ago: on the "Cosmic
Calender" this roughly corresponds to around April.  The Dinosaurs arose on
Christmas Eve, the first mammals around December 26, the first insects the
following day, followed by the first birds on December 28.  (It is now
pretty much accepted that one branch of the dinosaurs evolved into birds).

The first creature that looked even remotely human appeared in the late
evening of December 31.  Recorded human history occupies only the last 10
seconds of December 31.

So, our tenure on this planet is extremely short compared with cosmic
evolution.  Yet, we have managed to vastely affect the environment in so
short a time, mostly for the worse.  We need to always remember that the
earth was not made solely for our use, to do with as we see fit, without so
much as a by your leave for the other lifeforms which call it home.

I believe that Carl Sagan's book "The Dragons of Eden" contains a very good
description and discussion of the "Cosmic Calander" if anyone is
interested.  My presentation is simple and may not be totally correct; i'm
not a scientist, merely someone who has always been fascinated with the
history of the universe and the evolution of life.

At 5:30 10/22/95, Wendy Tebay wrote:
>Helen and everyone,
<some snipped>
>Before I go, I thought I'd share this, which I personally find beautiful, and
>is hanging on the wall in front of me as I type:
>
>We need another and a wiser and perhaps more mystical concept of animals.
>Remote from universal nature, and living by complicated artifice, man in
>civilization surveys the creature through the glass of his knowledge and sees
>thereby a feather magnified and the  whole image in distortion.  We patronize
>them for their incompleteness, for their tragic fate of having taken form so
>far below ourselves.  And therein we err, and greatly err.  For the animal
>shall not be measured by man.  In a world older and more complete than ours
>they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have
>lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.  They are not
>brethren, they are not underlngs; they are other nations, caught with
>ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and
>travail of the earth.
>
>from THE OUTERMOST HOUSE by Henry Beston

"Peace from the Clouds"                              \--*MH*--/

Jeffrey Romanyshyn                                Email: [log in to unmask]
"Myth Hawk"

28/Diagnosed 3yrs/Sinemet CR 2x/Sinemet 10/100 as morning booster and as
needed/Eldepyrl 5mg 1x/NADH 2x/Rolfing (Deep Body Massage/Lift
Weights-Cycle--4-5 times per week

"Every child is an artist.  The problem is how to remain an artist after
he grows up." - Picasso.

"A society that has long lived with oppositional thinking and a deeply
embedded belief in dualism denies the dynamic interdependence of the
opposites--which pulsates at the core of myth--what a mythic way of knowing
is all about!" - (C.A. Burke, L. Hogan, & J.R. Romanyshyn)

If you wish, please check out some of my poetry (written under the
psuedonym ROM CARPATHIAN) and other fine literary creations at the M. David
Lewis Enterprises HomePage at: http://www.mdle.com/