The 30th Annual Conference of the Parkinson Foundation of Canada was held
this past weekend in Toronto.  I was asked to do a poster presentation
about our list and found that there was a great deal of interest in our
group.

Highlights!

I met Peter Kidd and Moira McPherson from Nova Scotia who are members of
the parkinsn list.  Moira recently had a pallidotomy at Loma Linda
Hospital (Dr. Iaconno performed the surgery). I didn't have much
opportunity to talk to Moira but Peter says she is feeling much better.
It's nice to have faces to put with names.

I also met Jerry Schwarz, who is also a member of our group. I had met
him at another conference earlier this year.  During a small group,
young-onset session, I learned that Jerry spends many hours on the phone
as a support person for people who are newly diagnosed with
Parkinson's.  Another unsung hero!

Heather Moore was there, too.  I only saw her for a minute...there were
many people there.

Dr. Morton Schulman was introduced from the audience to much applause.
For those who are not familiar with his name, Dr. Schulman was the Chief
Coronor in Toronto for many years.  The press used to described him as fiery
and controversial. I always felt that a more appropriate description of
him was...he did it HIS way and he did it well.  He was diagnosed with
Parkinson's and was instrumental in bringing Deprenyl
(Eldepryl/Selegiline) to Canada against much opposition.  Dr. Schulman
asked to speak to the audience for a few minutes.  He said that this
was the third National Conference he had attended.  He said he was asked
to leave the first one (when he was involved in bringing Deprenyl here);
he was 'tolerated' at the second one and applauded at the third one.
Then, with a look of glee, he took a vial of pills out of his pocket and
shook it with his arm raised and said, "I've got NEW pills!"  He looks very
fragile but still has the same spirit.  I was too busy applauding him to
find out about the 'new pills'.  (Can you tell that he is one of my heroes?)

Barb