EX CHARITY OFFICIAL ACCUSED OF EMBEZZLING

New York--The former director of a Parkinson's disease charity was
arrested yesterday on charges of embezzling more than $870,000 by duping
a Parkinson's patient who heads the group's Minnesota chapter.

Frank Williams, 54, allegedly stole the money from the American
Parkinson's Disease Association, which raises money for research and
information on the neurological disease.

Federal prosecutors said Williams sent donors' checks to Michael Monnot
of Northfield, Minn., and told him to deposit them into the chapter's
account, ten to write new checks or obtain money order and mail them to
Williams' [sic] home in New York, ostensibly to be passed on to nursing
homes.

Officials said that it was unclear what WIlliams did with the money but
that there was no indication that any of it went to nursing homes.
Monnot is not a suspect.

Williams, who resigned in APril, faces five years in prison and a
$250,000 fine if convicted.  He was ordered held on $100,000 bail yesterday.

(in SF CHronicle 10/31/95)