I've just read this string and am commenting somewhat late, but like
Glenn Deer I recognized the passage which immediately brought back a
flood of memories from Political Science 361: The History of
Political Philosophy taught by the fabulous Charles Taylor in the
basement of the Leacock Building.  (There was also a fabulous grad
student in that class whom I eventually married, but that's another
story).  Similar to Glenn's experience, this passage was read
by us in context: of political philosophy, 19th century thought, and
with the help of contemporary commentators (Sabine was our Bible) as
well as discussed with the teacher and our seminar leader.  Throwing
such a passage at a student for reading or discourse analysis is
senseless, unless the student is actually studying this writer or
period.