One more suggestion Cathy, "Grammar and the Teaching of Writing"
by Rei Noguchi (thank you Roger for the recommendation; it gave me a
shock of recognition to see that Noguchi has done what I have been
struggling to do).  Anyway, I am suggesting this book for the same
reason that I mentioned Sidney Greenbaum's "Good English and the
Grammarian".  I could never understand why the study and teaching of
language (including grammar) is seen as being irrelevant or indeed
harmful to the study and teaching of writing.  Just because so often
language has been taught very badly hardly seems to be a good enough
reason to dismiss it.

Mieke