Richard, I think that ONE reasons students shy away from the longer more
sophisticated sentences is that they are afraid of confronting grammar
and punctuation problems that they don't encounter very often if they
write the kind of sentences they are used to writing.

Take, for example, your third last sentence, a beauty at 51 words. What
problems in grammar and punctuation might a student be faced with? What
decisions?
Should their be a comma after "investigation"? Is it what the handbook
calls an introductory element?
Should there be a comma after "students" and before "or"? Is it a clause?
Or do I need a comma for clarity's sake?
Should I say "they"? Is the pronoun reference clear enough?
Should I put a comma after "essays"?
If I put all these commas in, do I have too many commas?

Daunting.

Jim Bell                                Ph. (604) 960-6365
Learning Skills Centre                  Fax (604) 960-6330
University of Northern BC               email [log in to unmask]
3333 University Way
Prince George, BC