Hello Anthony.  I've been following your referendum comments with
interest and pain.  I think M. Parizeau's comments helped me understand
the situation, too.  Yes, it's about turmoil caused by the changing faces
of Canadian society.  Yes, it's a horrendous reality to suggest that what
the referendum is about is saving Quebec for white francophones.  (I
heard a CBC analist several weeks ago suggest that this referendum was
French Quebec's last stand; the allophone/angophone vote next referendum
will outweigh the francophone vote.)

But there is some comfort (insert tongue in cheek symbol here) to think
that the francophones are not alone in their feelings.  I suspect that
these tensions are being played out right across Canada.  It's difficult
in Saskatchewan, for example, to face the reality that the place I grew
up in has changed.  It is no longer the place where we sing about "Rule
Britannia" -- "In day's or yore, from Britain's shore/Wolfe the dauntless
hero...etc"

I see the same feelings displayed by the francophones expressed in the
struggle a few years ago in Prince Albert when one of the Cree nations
set up a reserve within the city limits.  Or the comments about the
Chinese in B.C. when I visited Vancouver last weekend.

Is Canada, too, caught in the insidious web of tribalism?

Anyway Anthony -- welcome back to Canada!

/sam robinson