>What is the Anerican reaction?  Puzzlement? Sympathy? Disbelief?

I think it's puzzlement.  Not that someone would want to seceed but that
someone would permit and honor a referendum.  There's no secession clause
in the constitution, and since 1865 it's been understood that you can't
seceed.  If there were a referendum in Pennsylvania and 100% voted to
seceed, the rest of the country would barely notice because it's just not
possible to do it.

I'm an ignorant American and there's no reason for Canadians to explain
things slowly and carefully to ignoramuses down here, but I'd also like to
know if the Canadian constitution permits secession.  If it doesn't, why
are these divisive referenda tolerated?

>Did Parizeau's parting speech get reported in the U.S.?  He blamed the
>defeat on "money and the ethnic vote."

It sure wasn't reported where I live.  Then again, where I live we don't
even get news about Harrisburg.

Selzer

Jack Selzer, Associate Professor of English
Department of English
Penn State University
University Park, PA  16802
Phone:  814-865-0251