>What is the American reaction?  Puzzlement? Sympathy? Disbelief?

Hello, another lurker smoked out by the Referendum.  As a Canadian studying
in the US, I have certainly appreciated the insights shared on this list.
Most of the coverage by the US networks has focused on the potential
economic impact of a divided Canada on the US. The Referendum and
Parizeau's resignation have been front page news for the Des Moines
Register the last 3 days.  I saw bits of Bouchard's, Chretien's, and
Parizeau's speeches on the news; can't remember if that was national or
local news.  Both have been covering the Referendum, but only in the last
week or so.

I have been passing many of the CASLL insights on to my colleagues who are
interested in, but puzzled by, the Referendum.  Many are puzzled by the
lack of insightful coverage by the US media.  My colleague's don't have a
very clear sense of why Quebec would want to separate; they don't see the
"advantages."   My students are virtually oblivious to the whole event.

I should also add that reports on developments at U of M are also
appreciated!  What kind of academic climate will I be stepping into next
year when looking for employment in Canada?

Kevin Brooks
Department of English
Iowa State University
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~kbrooks