On a more positive note (I think) given today's political and economic
climate--

The university of Waterloo has finally decided to develop and offer a
composition theory and pedagogy comprehensive exam at the PhD. level.
One of the interesting features of this exam is that we will be
incorporating an external reader into the structure of the exam.  Judy
Segal at UBC has kindly consented to be one of those readers.

I have been delegated to be the person to develop the list of readings
(actually a draft list developed by Judy already exists--but it is now
dated).

I suggested to the department that it would be a good idea to consult
with other researchers in composition in Canada (since we are a small
community) as to what they wanted to see on the list.

So I extend an invitation to everyone to send me references to the
material that they think PhD students ought to read.

Your contributions will be greatly appreciated as I revise and add to the
list.

Finally in closing I know that PhD exams themselves are sometimes
controversial--but quite frankly I was glad to get the area recognized so
that doctoral projects could emerge.

Thanks

Catherine F. Schryer