About coverage elsewhere: Press in Maine, because of proximity and a large
francophone population, has probably covered the referendum more frequently
and thoroughly than elsewhere down here.  Like Andrea, I find it especially
chilling that the English Only people are taking it as a "cautionary tale."

Another reason for Maine's interest may be our own referendum on
gay/Lesbian/bisexual equal rights (though the words are never mentioned in
the text).  We've been working hard and hoping hard that on next Tuesday
Maine will follow Oregon and not Colorado.  The polls are about 1/3 no
(against exclusion from anti-discrimination laws), 1/3 yes (for limiting
anti-discrimination laws to the limited number of populations now
mentioned, which does not include the gay/lesbian/bisexual population), 1/3
undecided.  Stay tuned.

jean sanborn