Richard, it dawned on me as I read your long post that all of the
strategies you described involve getting the student to change his point
of view, a tactic which is apparently solidifying his intransigence.

I'm wondering if you can reframe the situation so that the task is for
the student to try to change _your_ point of view.  That is, rather than
presenting him with readings that are designed to make him re-think his
values, can he find readings for you that will (attempt to) make you
re-think yours?  Can you refute his arguments with your own and then
invite him to revise his so that they're more palatable to you?  I'm
thinking that maybe this way, he'll at least be forced to find and
evaluate the arguments of others who hold his view.

Good luck . . . this sounds like a very painful situation.

Marcy

Marcy Bauman
Writing Program
University of Michigan-Dearborn