I know that Judy presents a more general point about education--I say that
first because what I'm about to say might seem to miss it--but I'm actually
interested in the specifics of this 5 paragraph essay assignment.  I see lots
of first year student (here at York U.--Toronto) whose sense of academic
writing has been shaped by advice about "not sitting on the fence" --though
this teacher's injunction to avoid "a reasoned moderate argument" is an
extreme example of that kind of advice.

Education can flow both ways--why not consult with your daughter and
encourage her to compose a meta-note or covering letter to go with the paper
she's written?  It might say something like:  'I'm sure that your instruction
about not arguing both sides wasn't intended to preclude arguing a specific
position located somewhere between extremes of 'yes'--Quebec is wholly
justified in seeking immediate separation from Canada and 'no'--under no
circumstances should the separatistes be allowed to hijack Quebec. '

James Brown