Jack: I do not know the details of the Canadian constitution, which,
unlike your own, is not considered a central or sacred text. But Quebec
is not a signatory to that document anyway, and various attempts to
revise it to make it palatable to Quebec have failed. Perhaps someone
more familiar with Canadian constitutional law could answer Jack's
question. Is Charles Taylor on this list?
Doug: The rally of thousands (how many thousands being a hotly
contested issue) may have had a negative effect. It did give some
people a warmly wanted feeling, but it filled many with cynical contempt.
Even many NO voters see this as a Quebec issue and are resentful of
shows of "support," especially because there is a widespread belief -
on both the YES and NO sides - that Canada has failed to take the
concrete action necessary to settle this division, or at least to change
the grounds of the debate. The feds remained cynically quiet throughout
the campaign, believing that they had the referendum won, and their
silence almost cost the country. When thousands rally in front of their
provincial legislatures demanding a new deal for Quebec, then notice
will be taken.
Many separatists are not motivated by racism, perhaps most. Many, as
polls suggest, wanted this vote to push Canadians toward a
reconception of the country. I do think Canada could offer a new
arrangement that would end or seriously the threat of separation, but it
would radically change the federation, and I'm not sure Canadians
(including this one) want such a dramatic change.
Anthony