I think the following would be valuable reading for a PhD
exam in comp/rhet (and my congratulations as well for this
curricular coup!):

Harkin, P. and J. Schilb, eds.  Contending with Words:  Composition
 and Rhetoric in a Postmodern Age.  MLA, 1991.

Foss, Foss, and Trapp.   Contemporary Perspectives on Rhetoric.
 2nd ed.  Waveland, 1991.

B. Brock, R. Scott, and J. Chesebro, eds.  Methods of Rhetorical
 Criticism.  3rd ed., rev.  Wayne State UP, 1989.

LeFevre, K.  Invention as a Social Act.  SIUP, 1987.

Swearingen, C. J.  Rhetoric and Irony:  Western Literacy and
 Western Lies. Oxford, 1991.

Welch, K.  The Contemporary Reception of Classical Rhetoric:
 Appropriations of Ancient Discourse.  Lawrence Erlbaum, 1990.

Ede/Lunsford.  Singular Texts/Plural Authors.  SIUP, 1991.

Cheers!  --Amanda