> I've been wondering whether the mass rally of --what was it,
> 100,000?--Canadians asking Quebec to stay was what actually swung the
> vote that fraction to the no side.
> Any reaction from our friends in Quebec (still thank God our countrymen)?

Frankly, I think that rally did as much harm as good.  I hate to
agree with Bouchard, but he was right in asking whether these people
would have showed up if the non side was still leading 60% in the
polls.  As Louise Beaudoin (how I wish she would replace Parizeau),
Minister of Intergovernmental Affairs, said: I don't want love, I
want recognition.  The rally certainly made a lot of Canadians feel
pleased with themselves (oh boy, I sound like a Quebecoise here,
albeit an ethnic).  What I am more interested in is the large voting
fraud that went on: people intimidated and bullied by (PQ) officials,
premarked ballots, voters denied the right to vote because all of a
suddent their address or birth date on the list was wrong, or even
tricked into spoiling their ballots (please initial your ballot here
madame).  A democratic and fair campaign and vote? Bah!  Mieke