Just a quick note on the Rest of Canada and the referendum: I thought it
sad and revealing that the most appropriate analogy I could find for
the late outpouring of affection, the assertions, the rallies from
outside Quebec was the save the Jets movement in Manitoba.  A vast and
enduring silence, followed by a spasmodic and largely platitudinous
declaration, in the most general terms, of affection and connection.
What effect this outpouring had would be difficult to measure; but its
relation to the almost utter absence of any comment before the last
few days is telling.  And I'm afraid that in a week or two, when the
Rest of Canada has taken a few breaths of relief, we will revert to
the pre-referendum condition of truculent inertia.  Or am I beimng
too cynical, or missing something?