Patrick:

I couldn't agree more.  Asking students to state the apparant meaning of
a contextless paragraph is a dumb idea and I've told the instructor who
assigned it exactly that, though in more tactful terms so that maybe
she'll continue to listen to me and change what she's doing.

But that's the problem.  Whatever I do to try to change my own teaching
style and that of other instructors, these sorts of problems keep getting
themselves created, and students need strategies to help them work out
the surface meanings of prose passages.  And although this assignment
seems misguided, it doesn't seem all that dumb in general to give
students some tools for doing this; otherwise they are locked into just
skimming, and in doing so oftem mistake the meaning of passages
completely.  (Yeah, I know there's no "right" meaning of any passage, but
as the pig in the Boynton cartoon said, "There's no such thing as a wrong
answer, but if there were, that certainly would have been it.  Some
readings just don't connect with the text that has generated them.)

If we don't teach students how to read 19th c prose, will they be forever
unable to read anything written before 1985?

Roger:

Thanks for the tip on Brown and Yule.  I have that book on my shelf but
haven't looked at it in many moons.  I'll go blow off the dust.

Doug