Well, as you have all noticed, we have been spammed again. I am happy to
report that this time the spammer will receive his just deserts! He used
a real account in his own name and violated the membership agreement with
his service provider, so he not only loses his Internet access, he's
going to have to pay for the connect time, etc, expended by
PRIMENET.COM's staff on clearing up the mess! Sometimes the system
works....

At this point, we have 2 choices as a list. We can continue to be a
public list, which means anyone can post a message to REED-L. The good
side of this is that we can receive announcements of interest from
non-members but the bad side is that it leaves us open to spammers. We
have now been hit three times, I think, which is not bad but still very
annoying. Or we can become a private list, and receive postings only from
members. I am not sure we would lose anything by this and we would
certainly gain the protection against spamming. But I would like to know
what you think before I do anything.....

In the meantime, I would like to ask that if we are spammed, you please
send messages of reproach or indignation to the sender of the spam and
his/her service provider (something like [log in to unmask] usually
works: I wrote about the last spam to [log in to unmask], for
example). The commercial service providers, especially in the USA, are
often trying to prevent this kind of mis-use of the Internet becasue they
feel it will backfire on legitimate commercial users. So don't
letter-bomb them with 50 copies of the spam: they are probably on your
side. Sometimes what happens is that these spammers sign up for one of
those 30-day-free-trial accounts with fake addresses and credit-card
information, send out the spam and then disappear.

The great problem as well as the most annoyance about all this is the
unnecessary mail it engenders on lists, so for everyone's sake it is
better not to respond on our own list whan this kind of thing happens.
Complain to the spammers and let me know about any problems too.

Apolegetically yours,

Abigail