I personally would prefer to keep the list public, though I haven't been on
it very long and perhaps don't have others' perspective.  But I have been on
many other medieval lists for over a year now and have been spammed only
once.  It took me all of 10 seconds to realize what that this message was and
delete it.  I know it's more of a problem for people with limited e-mail
space, though.  For me personally, however, it's not particularly
inconvenient, so I'd rather keep the advantages of a public list.

My $.02.

Alan Baragona