> annoying. Or we can become a private list, and receive postings only from
> members. I am not sure we would lose anything by this and we would
> certainly gain the protection against spamming. But I would like to know
> what you think before I do anything.....

The medieval-religion list is moderated on this basis, I think. It
doesn't appear to lose out on anything. It's a good idea, if you ask
me. Members should provide the information, including that coming
from the 'outside world', - from other lists, for example. Members
can also be properly punished, as you have demonstrated. They are
left free to introduce 'half-commercial' material, e.g. book
announcements (asking the moderator's permission is a good idea if in
doubt).

Christoph Cluse
Uni Trier
Germany