I have had two classes in which students produce their own html. The
first was an independant study course in which a student did hypertext
annotations for _A Midsummer Night's Dream_ and the second is a
bibliographic guide for undergraduate students created by a graduate
class. I did not find that students need a lot of training in order to
produce basic html. They have an online guide and can look at other
people's work with browsers that reveal source code. The most difficult
part seems to be instruction in the basic unix commands necessary to
create and copy files. I gave them the option of working on any platform
and converting files to unix format, but they all chose to work directly
on the unix server. Of course, I have been working with highly motivated
and intelligent senior level students in small numbers.
        The Canadian copyright laws are different than  in the
United States. They appear to be quite a bit more rigid. For this reason
I have only been working with texts that have been placed in the public
domain and distributed on the Internet. I would like to do an edition of
an emblem book by George Wither, but I am have trouble getting permission
to digitalize the text.

Stan Beeler

|Dr. Stan Beeler  |English Programme | University of Northern B.C. |
|e-mail:[log in to unmask] | WWW:  http://quarles.unbc.edu   |