The Canadian copyright laws seem to differ from the US in the aspect of
"fair dealing" or "fair use." In the US I believe that educational
institutions may use materials in a way that would otherwise violate
copyright laws. In Canada I do not believe that we have this exception.
That is, teaching materials are still subject to the normal copyright
rules. For example, I cannot show portions of videos in my Literature of
the Fantastic course unless I obtain (expensive) public performace
rights. Therefore, I believe that I cannot reproduce texts for teaching
purposes even if I put a password lock on the directory. If I am wrong on
this matter I would love to be corrected as it is a real nuisance. I know
that some Canadian educational institutions turn a blind eye to the
rules, but others are quite vigilant.

STan Beeler

|Dr. Stan Beeler  |English Programme | University of Northern B.C. |
|e-mail:[log in to unmask] | WWW:  http://quarles.unbc.edu   |