On the subject of HTML assignments:

I recently had my students do an HTML assignment where they worked in
groups to produce clusters of pages on various subjects. I found that it
took about an hour to give them the basics of HTML (an hour lecture). I
asked the groups to hand in a disk so they did not have to deal with
uploading, chmoding, or UNIX. The major problems I encountered were:

1. Some groups did not use relative links so that the URLs reflected the
path of the file on a floppy disk (A:\...). This broke when I uploaded the
files.

2. Students didn't realize that DOS file names are in caps and UNIX is case
sensitive. Links to href="myfile.htm" that worked off a disk broke when
"MYFILE.HTM" got uploaded.

Otherwise the project was a success. The students appreciate learning
supplementary skills like HTML. By asking for group work I kept the amount
of grading work down.

Yours,

Geoffrey Rockwell