I read last week's discussion on the use of hypertext with great interest.

Leslie D. Harris stated in his abstract for "The Shakespeare Multimedia Project"
that students who collaborate on a hypertextually annotated passage "learn by
doing."   How does this hypertextual interpretation of the text substitue for,
or expand upon, a dramatic performance?  Performing the passage (or at least
observing a performance) would seem to be the most intuitive way to "learn by
doing."

I realize that many other factors may affect the performance of individual group
members, but I do wonder about different levels of computer literacy.  In group
situations, do the students with more computing skills tend to overshadow the
rest?  Or do the groups divide the work, so that the most computer-literate
spend the least time in traditional critical analysis?

Dennis G. Jerz
Ph.D. Candiadate, University of Toronto
[log in to unmask]       (416) 944-3168