 Geoffrey Rockwell asked
>How do we know when instructional technology works?

>There seems to be very little on evaluation of information technology that
>does not involve complex empirical studies that yield almost useless
>results. Do you have more informal ways of assessing what is working? Can
>you recommend evaluation techniques that are not time consuming and
>artificial?

If you're doing the assessment purely for your own purposes, truly
"loosey-goosey" subjective evidence may be best. For instance, I find that in
an electronic environment students "take charge" more readily and depend less
upon being told what/how to think/respond. I also see better attendance among
undergraduates and fascinating innovations among graduate students. And so on.
My freshman writing students write more, sophomore lit students actually discuss
Spenser intelligently, upper division majors in HEL comb the internet for
information on language, grad students discuss contemporary rhetorical issues
on a bulletin board that averaged 3 posts per day per student and (a different
group) have joined Ansax-l. The teaching assistants are trying to
get their own bulletin board so they can engage in on-going scholarly
discussion in an informal way at all hours but at individual convenience.

Of course, this kind of evidence won't satisfy a dean, department head, or
budget committee. They only believe the "complex empirical studies."

With your permission as soon as I hear from you I will forward your inquiry to
the Alliance for Computers in Writing list to try to elicit some helpful
information.

Suzanne S. Webb                   PhD Program in Rhetoric
[log in to unmask]                    Dept. of English, Speech, & Foreign Languages
Professor of English              Texas Woman's University, Denton, TX 76204