Dear Suzanne,

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. Please go ahead and forward my
question to the Alliance for Computers in Writing. I hope you will share
the results with REED-L.

You nicely point out that an assessment can be more or less formal
depending on the audience and their needs. Thus we are, in some sense,
assessing every time we interact with the students while deans demand more
formal assessments. I wonder if we can find ways of assessing the use of
technology in humanities education that are:

1. Convincing to our peers and possibly our administrators
2. Relatively cheap and easy to run for the instructor
3. Consistent with our critical traditions

On the last point, I would like to think that in the humanities we already
have ways of assessing the value of education and research that we could
apply to technology rich solutions instead of importing methods from other
disciplines.

Yours,

Geoffrey Rockwell