To Joyce and Chuck Tames;

In your message posted earlier today, you wrote:

>Joyce and I were gone for a few days and did not unsubscribe.  We had
>a LOT of messages when we got back.

If you need to 'stop the incoming' for a few days. all you need to do
is send the following message:
        SET PARKINSN NOMAIL
to the list server computer at the listserv address:
        LISTSERV@[log in to unmask]

When you want to 'start the incoming' again, just send the following
message to the list server:
        SET PARKINSN MAIL

If the volume of individual messages is too great for you, you can
either instruct the list server to only send you an index list of the
messages pposted each day, or to send all the messages for the day in
one 'lump' or 'digest' form. Use either of these commands:
        SET PARKINSN INDEX
or
        SET PARKINSN DIGEST.

The 'set parkinsn mail' command will cancel any of the mail commands
and get you back to normal - i.e. individual messages sent to you as
they are sent in.

Please also note that to quit the list permanently, the command is
'signoff' not 'unsubscribe'.

All of these instructions are available in more detail in the
archives.

>I am sure all of you have noticed mail from one person directly to
>another that most of the time does not have useful information for
>all 900+ of us worldwide.

I haven't noticed any such messages recently. Some may not apply to my
personal situation today, but they are all potentially helpful to
someone, somewhere, or they wouldn't have been posted.  This, I
believe, is the purpose of the list. I think our listmembers are
pretty thoughtful about what constitutes 'sharing'.

In addition, the only way to get this information into the archives is
by posting it. Our archives are our third most valuable resource,
second only to our list members, and to our hardworking list founder
and keeper Barbara Patterson.

>Its not hard folks,  please try it and save the rest of us precious
>moments.

All of us have limited time and ability for whatever reasons. That's
why I detailed the mail command options above. If the incoming
messages are not relevant to you, the 'delete' key is available to use
as needed.

All the best,

Janet

Janet Paterson, 48, 7, [log in to unmask],  Bermuda