You wrote:

>Dear members,
>My mother in laws condition is worsening.  My wifes long time
experiment
>with alternative medication has not produced any positive effects. My
wife,
> who is basically the caregiver even though my father in law
physically
>takes care of her, is toying with the idea of starting her on L-dopa
as
>early as this week, but she has many reservations.  My wife is afraid
of
>what the side effects will do to her frail mother.  The tremors are
very
>pronounced, she cannot walk without the aid of a walker, She has no
bladder
> control and worst of all she feels like a terrible burden to us all.
>
>My wife's reasoning is that she can live another 20 years (she is 70)
>without suffering sides.  But I say what kind of life is this?  Should
she
>go for a lesser amount albeit a quality amount of years.  And will
L-dopa
>actually help her?  If anyone has any ideas or answers we would be
>grateful.
>One other question.  How fast can she see improvement in her condition
>after  we start her on the L-dopa?
>
>Thank you all.
>Danny Gewirtz
>Ma'aleh Adumim
>Israel

Danny,

It's time to get her on medication!  If she responds (and the odds are
that she will), it will be apparent in just a few days.  About 8 years
ago, I started my father-in-law (he was 83 at the time) on Sinemet and
he was better inside 48 hours, with major improvement in 2-3 days.  He
is now becoming resistant (age 92) and is showing signs of
deterioration, but neither he nor I are sorry that the L-DOPA was
started (he is a retired physician).  Get the medicine started!

Best,

Bob
--

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S.   Phone: 510-849-2555
Neurological Surgery              FAX:  510-849-2557

E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]
World Wide Web:  <http://www.phoenix.net/~medical/fink.html>

CompuServe:  72303,3442
America Online:  BobFink          "Ex Tristitia Virtus"