MaryEllen,

Have you ever read anything about codependency.  Most of what you see is
relating to "caregivers" of people with drug and alcohol problems.  Anyway
what it is all about is that you cannot make someone else do something they
don't want to do and you have no responsibility to do so.  Sounds easy
enough doesn't it.  Of course when you love someone and you see them heading
full speed toward disaster this is not so easy.  I think you just have to
keep letting them know you are there and that you love them and have alot of
heart to heart talks with God.  I'm sure there is alot more to it than that
and maybe you and your husband and in-laws (including the parents if they
are willing) should join a co-dependency group because you need to develop
the tools to deal with the problem so that it doesn't rule your life.  My
prayers are with you because I know how hard it can be to deal with
difficult parents.  By the way it doesn't surprise me at all to hear that
your mother in law will listen to you before her own children, my parents
are exactly the same way.  It is very hurtful to the children.  Whenever I
see my family heading into that type of situation I pray very hard that God
will give me whatever it takes to not become bitter about it-it's not easy.

Nancy Walker