>I really identified with Glenn's concern with his father's condition
>especially the drooling.  I just returned from a weekend of traveling with
>my dad, age 78 (8yrs)PD.  His drooling and swallowing problem started a
>month ago.  When he is off he cannot eat.  I watched him struggle to get
>down a meal several times this weekend to no avail.  It took him 3 hours
>to eat a hamburger in the car yesterday.  And what a mess it was.  He will
>see his nero. at the end of the month.  In the meantime he is loosing weight
>and I am afraid, his spirit.  The interesting thing is that when the
>swallowing problem sarted his freezing spells almost quit.  He moves
>around pretty freely, although his balance is terrible.  Why would one
>problem disapper when another one starts?  Anyone out there with some answers
>This is a wonderful support group.  Thanks for your input.
>Marcia

Marcia, you have to plan meals for a time when your father is 'on' which is
30 minutes to 1 hour after taking his meds. Have his B12 checked, this can
complicate dysphagia. In the meantime, try to supplement him with liquid
sustanance in the flavor he prefers. More frequent dosing by breaking
tablets so that by the end of the day he will have had the same amount of
medicine will level him out. Standard release Sinemet is only effective 2
hours and the CR version about 4 hours. Breaking the standard tablets in two
and giving 1/2 of his dose every 2 hours will help him.

Don't overlook the B12 check.