Mark;

I am now 48, and was diagnosed with Parkinson's 7 years ago. However,
as is frequently the case, I had symptoms for a few years before
diagnosis. I thought I was getting 'out of shape', because I felt so
slow and awkward. I bought several exercise videos, and managed to
scare myself silly since I couldn't keep up. I also noticed my
handwriting getting shakier, and signed up for Transcendental
Medititation to ease my assumed job-related 'nervousness and stress'.
I love music, and found difficulty in even tapping my foot to the
music for any length of time. I kept my head in the sand of fear and
ignorance, until finally I was having a noticable 'shuffle' in my
walking gait, and started the round of doctors and tests.

Because of my walking and writing difficulties, I was put on Sinemet
right away (but 'low and slow' - gradual build up to avoid the stomach
upset that comes at the beginning). I had gone to stay with my sister
in Ottawa for a couple of weeks while seeing a neurologist in Montral.
When I arrived, I felt very awkward and stiff, and had a hard time
making it from one end of the airport to the other. When I left two
weeks later, 'Sinemetized', I was strutting though the airport with
all the coordination of a one person marching band.

Today, I recognize the need to adjust my medication menu, and will
attack that problem with logic and knowledge - gained from the wealth
of information and support available in this list's archive files. The
neurologist's comment that has stayed with me since that first meeting
was - 'PD usually progresses slowly - there won't be any surprises -
you'll have time to assess each new development'

I'm sure you'll hear from other members, who'll be offering support
and advice for your mother. My immediate advice is to gain as much
knowledge as you can, and GET THAT PIANO BACK! There have been so many
new developments in research and treatment in the past 12 months, that
the 'option' window is opening wider and wider.

My reaction on diagnosis was one of blind fear and panic - but after 7
years to think it over, this condition has proved to be a blessing. I
now appreciate the difference between what's really important and what
isn't. Your mother is very lucky to have you. But tell her that all
900 of us are here too. We're all going through this together.

Janet Paterson,  48, 7,  [log in to unmask]   Bermuda