Hi Everyone... I'm new to this List, but certainly not new to Parkinson's!
(rueful smile) I've had PD for almost 20 years and had a monolateral (on the
left sode, for PD symptoms on the right side) pallidotomy on October 24,
1994, performed by Dr. Gary Heit, of Stanford University Medical Center, at
Loma Linda University Medical Center, with Dr. Robert Iacono of Loma Linda
University Med. Center assisting.  WHADDA terrific team!

I consider that day to be my "RE-birthday!" (BIG smile) The results were
immediate and outstanding, with all PD symptoms on the right clearing up
virtually instantly and those on the left, which had barely begun to show at
the time of the surgery clearing up within approximately 6 months after the
surgery.  I have been able to GREATLY reduce the amount of medication I take
down to 2 Sinemet 25/250's per day.... one about noon and another about 7
p.m.  There is no dyskinesia, tho I've now been on Sinement for over 6 years,
and not even a hint of the "on/off" periods which had formerly driven me to
distraction.  It's now no different than taking a vitamin..

I have no idea if the left side will resume degeneration at some future
point, since it wasn't the side that was being treated by the surgery.
However, it's believed by both Dr.s Heit and Iacono that the right side will
remain as it is for the duration of my life.  I ain't gonna complain of THAT,
since it's just about as normal as it could be!  Well, time will tell, right?
<smile>

I do tire very easily, and have visual distortion as depth perception isn't
all that good any longer.  This began before the surgery and has remained
unchanged since.  There's also a lot of saliva (PHOOEY!) but I'm becoming
adept at "power-swollowing!" <grin> Sleep is still elusive... Darn!)  But
hey... I just use that time to catch up on my reading or logon to a BBS!

Overall tho, I feel pretty darn good, and have resumed being a part of "real
life" once again!  And it's WONDERFUL!!!

I run a 16 line BBS with 7 individual BBS's on it.. one of which is "Movers &
Shakers PD BBS."  (818) 776-2777.  This is a FREE-to-them-what-need-it
community service board.  I am also the Forum Manager on the Microsoft
Network, for the Chronic Disease & Disorders Forum, and the very first BBS I
added to my Forum was "The Parkinson's Place BBS."  To those of you who logon
to MSN, please drop by the Parkinson's Place - the GO-word is
"CD&DParkinsons" (without the quotes!)

BTW... one thing really struck me in reading the first dozen or so posts I
received from this List.. It seems to me that those with PD are exceptionally
bright, and have a warm and caring attitude.  Or is it only those with PD who
are ONLINE? <grin>

I wish you all good health...

Barb Mallut,

Email:  [log in to unmask]