Hi
I had a herniated disc between C-6&7 removed in 1992.  The surgery was done
with an anterior approach.........the incision is along my collar bone just
off the the left of center. (I am frequently asked if it is a thyroid scar,
but no, it is disk surgery performed from the front side.

The neurosurgeon then describes the process as pushing everything aside with
his fingers (vocal cords, artery, nerves) and they  can then just pluck out
the disk!   I required 4 tylenol the day of surgery..........went home the
 second day.  From days 4 to about day 10 muscle spasms between the shoulder
blades felt as though I could be turned inside out by the next one (but if I
learned to stay in the recliner (head support) most of the day, the spasms
were less frequent.

No problems since.  Surgery performed in Lincoln NE by a neurosurgeon who
trained at Mayo for the procedure.

Highly recommend the procedure.  Little or no after effects.

Rita Weeks