Hi all! My husband and I just got back from a visit to his parents
(father, 88 has pd, stage III, mother 82, primary caregiver is
EXTRAORDINARY ANXIOUS) in Florida. We went down there mainly concerned
about him, but he is coping well and his mood is great. We found that the
mom is what we really are worried about. She is physically healthy but
frail. But overwhelmingly anxious depressed(?), won't let anyone do
anything--clean a dish, pack a box--"You're doing it wrong, it will
break, you didn't come down to... etc." and overreacts almost to the
point of tears, (but not quite) to any incident from not chosing a pork
chop she cooked, to a leak in the roof to night lights etc, with the same
crisis reaction. Part of this is (I think) stress and exhaustion
self-imposed by her self-imposed rigor of caregiving. The rest? Highly
neurotic, dementia(?), very scary. They are not ready for our
intevention. (?)
suggested many things, including a physical and telling the MD but nothing
"took."
Bought a caregiver book for ourselves, which was nice but not enough info.
Any suggestions. PLEASE!!
Maryellen