Hi, Mark:  I was diagnosed at age 60--have had it for 4 years.  Like your
mother I made the rounds for over 2 years since they suspected arthritis and
god knows what!  Frankly, it was a relief to get on the Sinemet so I could
finally move.

My father and uncle both had PD and I was extremely depressed when I
realized that was what I had because my father became quite demented and my
uncle was so impossible that he made life unbearable for all concerned.

The best advice I got was from my local neurologist who said to forget what
I saw in these two because PD differs greatly in everyone.  How right he
was.  I, of course, had negative role models in my relatives, but this
network has demonstrated how variable the disease is.

I did not have a talent as you mother has which the disease caused me to
lose, but I had always been extremely physically active.  I planned for
years for retirement when I would walk most of the trails troughout the US,
and Europe.  I first was going to walk across England.  All that went down
the drain.  I went through the usual "poor me routine" and why did I take
care of myself all these years to end up like this.  But something funny
happened.  I own a cabin in the mountains of southern Utah and I live in
Alaska.  (I'm about the only person in the state who has a summer retreat
instead of a winter retreat!)  I determined to drive down alone and live
there alone for three months.  This was the first year of my diagnosis.
Chop and saw my own wood, etc.  Everything took time, but I did it and I was
as proud as if I had walked across England. I guess we finally do accept who
our new selves are and glory in our new successes!!

What has also helped me is to compare myself to others.  I may have been
only 60, but thank god, I was not 30.  When I compare myself to all the
young parkies on this network, I'll never complain.  And when I compare
myself to most of the rest of the world -- what a wonderful and blessed life
I have had.

So, Mark, to your mother, I would say:  Don't presume how the disease will
progress.  I hope it will be mild.  Maybe attitude and music will help!!
And above all don't give up on life yet.  The new you can glory is so many
new found pleasures and accomplishments!!

My best to you and your mother,  Helen.

[log in to unmask] = Helen Ormsby
Eagle River, Alaska USA
"Do not regret growing old; many are denied the privilege."