> the aftermath.  I wonder if any of you have had experience with
recovering > from abdonimal surgery+PD, aids to mobility that were
helpful, length of > time, etc. Though I know it would be very individual,
the experience > of others can also be helpful in preparation. His
internist assures him that > the aggravation of PD symptoms would be
temporary, but we are concerned > also that it might mean a permanent
slide to a lower level of functioning, > due to the stress, etc.  Hospital
stay would probably be only one day! Is > that good or bad? I know
hospitalization can be really hard on Parkies. > Any thoughts you may have
will be greatly appreciated, as it seems best > to do something about
this_before_ it becomes an emergency procedure. > Thanks for any
comments--Camilla Flintermann(C) Peter(P-76-6) >

 Hernia surgery only involves repair of the abdominal muscle (usually), so
the intestines are minimally affected.  Pain is easily managed as well
because the surgical intervention is limited..  The problems that may
affect Peter are constipation, and mobility as you have already mentioned.
Your doctor should be made aware of your concerns so that appropriate
medications can be prescribed for both problem as soon as possible post
surgery.

I'm concerned about the length of hospitalization.  Although most
patient's do well with same day surgery for herniorrhaphy, because of
Peter's pre-existing problems one wonders if a slightly longer
hospitalization might be in order.

If Peter is on Eldepryl, please remind your surgeon and anesthesiologist
that Demerol is incompatible with that med.

Camilla, I don't think you have to worry about long term affects from
this surgery.  It may cause some setbacks, but so does the flu and
pneumonia in our loved ones.  If Peter gets moving (as much as he is
able) as soon after the surgery as possible, and if he drinks lots of
prune juice in addition to taking proper meds, I'll bet he'll be his old
self in short order.
----
Please let us know how things go
Blessings