Fellow listmembers,
We need some help.  Ginny is scheduled for a
pallidotomy at OHSU on Dec. 15(we learned this
thursday).  We are inclined toward our neurologists'
reccomendation of a unilateral pallidotomy.

What we need help with is the neurosurgeon's option of
a newly aproved procedure to implant a stimulator in
the pallidus rather than the lesions produced by a
pallidotomy.
Our impression is that this has been done routinely
(assuming inserting electrodes in your brain is
routine) in place of a thalomotomy (especially
bi-lateral), and has been done on the pallidus in
France and Toronto, but is new in the US.

Has anyone on the list had a thalmic stimulation device
implanted?  How is it to live with the hardware?  Any
complications, infections?  Anyone with a thalomotomy
on one side and a stimulation device on the other?  Any
comparison?

At this point we can't  see what the advantage of
stimulation would be given it's newness. Any thoughts?

Any opinions/information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks very much,
Pete & Gin Morgan