I see everyone discussing the potential benefits of various vitamins and
cofactors. I personally think there is general benefit to many of them. As I
mentioned in an earlier post, CoQ would probably only be of benefit if one
has a deficiency of it in the first place or a defect in the pathway that
uses it.  I would caution that when you buy vitamins and cofactors that you
buy the most pure preparation you can find. No one ever mentions the
impurities in these preps. No one, let alone people with PD, need extraneous
chemicals potentially interferring with brain function.  So really grill your
health food vendors before you buy. CoQ, by the way, is available over the
counter in any drug store. It's not cheap.

I personally think it is good to take antioxidants (Vit C, E, etc.) to
prevent free radical damage whether you have PD or not. It is becoming better
understood that free radicals damage DNA (particularly the mitochondrial
DNA...yes, if you didn't know it, there is DNA in the mitochondrion as well
as in the nucleus of every living cell and it's  an important player in the
production of energy [ATP]).

By the way, I'm not just a scientist who's interested in PD. I have 2 family
members with the disease, one of which was my mom who braved it out for 27
yrs, back before L-DOPA was available and in the time when cryosurgery for
the brain was the only effective treatment.  Treatment has come a long way in
20 years but as you know it isn't all rosy.

I am curious to find references on what you all are calling "NADH" as a
supplement. I will also search Medline for references here at our Med School
and share what I find.

Delana Vaughan