   WHAT IS THE PARKINSONS CHAT CHANNEL ON THE UNDERNET?

When anyone logs onto an Undernet server throughout the world, there are
hundreds and sometimes over a thousand chat channels operating
simultaneously. You can join one or several at the same time. When ever
one joins a channel that is not present, one is created by that name and
the person who joined it becomes the operator.

   WHO DROPS IN ON THE PARKINSONS CHAT CHANNEL ON THE UNDERNET?

Last weekend, in addition to Marvin, Kees and myself, Nursey, a nurse from
the Parkinson's ward at the local hospital in England, a list member from
Alberta who hadn't received list mail in a while, Art a former list member
on sabattical in Wyoming, and a person in Yucatan Mexico who was seeking
information, stopped by. Judging from the international nature of our
guests, this outreach is beneficial.

Kees has commented that when it is evening in the USA, it is the middle of
the night in the Netherlands. South America, South Africa, Australia and
New Zealand have not signed on yet. We need volunteers to keep the channel
monitored and active during the evening hours in your local time zone. When
you are having trouble sleeping or get up to take meds, logon the undernet
and chat a while until the meds start working. Care-givers draw strength
from one another.

Marvin Giles and Kees Paap and I join the Parkinsons channel on the
Undernet most evenings from 8:30 (20:30) to 10:00 (22:00) Central
Standard Time (-6:00). On weekends we may be on the Parkinsons chat
channel anytime during the day and night.

These times roughly translate into:

+1  Europe and South Africa: 3:30 to 5 AM Friday

+10 Australia(some parts):   2:30 to 4 PM Friday

To do the global math from your point, if you are west of -6 but not
west of Wake Island in the Pacific, subtract -6 from your time zone
which will indicate the number of hours difference you need to SUBTRACT
from 8:30 PM Thursday to arrive at a time that the Parkinsons channel
is open.

If you are in a + time zone, ie. +10, you then ADD your time zone to -6
ignoring the minus and plus. Then add this total to 8:30 PM Thursday
which will translate into your local time Friday.

Windows users who have acess to WWW can download a copy of chat software
at this URL:

http://www.indy.net/~cyman/mirc/mircnews.html

    GETTING TO THE UNDERNET FROM AOL

Non AOL subscribers do not have access to the AOL chat rooms.
AOL members can use the following responses that I received from the
Internet regarding "Getting from AOL to the Undernet".

>Subject: Re: Getting from AOL to the Undernet
>From: [log in to unmask] (Brent Black)

AOL users can run any winsock software they like. They just have to do a
keyword search for winsock on aol , download the winsock and put it in
their windows directory.  Then they can run Netscape, Mirc etc.

>From: [log in to unmask] (the girly girl)
>Subject: Re: Getting from AOL to the Undernet

You need to d/l mIRC for AOL and an AOL-compatible winsock.  You
should be able to find both in AOL's software libraries, keyword:
quickfind.

   HOW THE UNDERNET WORKS

The Undernet servers around the world are tied together so that users of
the Parkinsons channel can chat with the group assembled or privately to
another user in REAL-TIME around the world. As you learn more about this
chatting, you can do more with your software. Even fava bean recipes can
be exchanged.<g>

Marvin was so kind the other day to list the Undernet servers in the US,
the whole list world wide follows: Use the server closest to you that is
available.

APPENDIX: The Undernet Server List
==================================

Updated:  20th Feb 1995

----------------------
Explanation of entries
----------------------
  line  1: server name and port number
  line  2: machine name and IP numeric
  line  3: location

--------------------
Undernet server list
======================

NORTH AMERICA (some of these also run on ports 7000/7777)
=============
CANADA
------
  server: Montreal.QU.CA.undernet.org 6667
 machine: aiken.info.polymtl.ca 132.207.4.32
location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

USA
---
  server: Norman.OK.US.undernet.org 6667
 machine: vinson.ecn.uoknor.edu 129.15.112.37
location: University of Oklahoma, Oklahoma, USA

  server: Manhattan.KS.US.undernet.org 6667
 machine: fubar.ksu.ksu.edu 129.130.8.12
location: Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kansas, USA

  server: Davis.CA.US.undernet.org 6667
 machine: syrinx.ucdavis.edu  128.120.2.16
location: Davis, CA, USA

  server: Austin.TX.US.undernet.org 6667
 machine: foghorn.cc.utexas.edu 128.83.108.32
location: Austin, Texas, USA

  server: Rochester.MI.US.undernet.org 6667
 machine: oak.oakland.edu 141.210.10.117
location: Rochester/Detroit, Michigan, USA

  server: SanJose.CA.US.undernet.org 6667
 machine: jive.rahul.net  192.160.13.4
location: San Jose, California, USA

  server: Washington.DC.US.undernet.org 6667
 machine: irc01.irc.aol.com  152.163.173.25
location: America On-Line, Washington DC, USA

  server: Pittsburgh.PA.US.undernet.org 6667
 machine: uirc.lm.com 192.231.221.38
location: Telerama Public access, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA

  server: Bloomington.IN.US.undernet.org 7000
 machine: irc.indiana.edu 129.79.20.84
location: Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, USA

  server: Chicago.IL.US.undernet.org 6667
 machine: alpha.misha.net 204.120.206.2
location: Chicago, Illinois, USA

  server: Phoenix.AZ.US.undernet.org 6667
 machine: home.amug.org 204.62.193.83
location: Arizona Macintosh Users' Group, Phoenix, AZ, USA

CHILE
-----
  server: Santiago.CL.undernet.org 6667
 machine: 146.83.1.1
location: Reuna, Red Universitaria Nacional

EUROPE  (most of these also run on port 7000)
=======

  server: Caen.FR.EU.undernet.org 7000
 machine: ns.ensicaen.ismra.fr 192.93.101.16
location: Ecole Nationale Superieure d'Ingenieurs de Caen, France

  server: Delft.NL.EU.undernet.org 6667
 machine: sg.tn.tudelft.nl 130.161.188.188
location: Netherlands

  server: Amsterdam.NL.EU.undernet.org 6667
 machine: veer.cs.vu.nl 130.37.24.9
location: Netherlands

  server: Vienna.AT.EU.undernet.org 6667
 machine: olymp.wu-wien.ac.at 127.208.3.30
Location: Vienna, Austria

  server: Ljubljana.Si.Eu.undernet.org 6668
 machine: cmir.arnes.si 193.2.1.67
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia

  server: Oslo.No.EU.undernet.org 6667
 machine: eros.nki.no  128.39.107.112
Location: NKI Ingenioerhoegskolen, Oslo, Norway

  server: Gothenburg.Se.EU.undernet.org 6667
 machine: alcazar.cd.chalmers.se  129.16.79.30
Location: Chalmers Tekniska Lekskola, Gothenburg, Sweden

  server: Oxford.UK.EU.undernet.org 6667
 machine: sable.ox.ac.uk 163.1.2.4
Location: University of Oxford, Oxford, UK.

AUSTRALIA
=========
  server: Wollongong.NSW.AU.undernet.org 6667
 machine: gorgon.cs.uow.edu.au 130.130.64.75
location: U of Wollongong, Dept of Computer Science, Wollongong, Australia

  server: Brisbane.QLD.AU.undernet.org 7000
 machine: qabc.uq.oz.au 130.102.46.10
location: U of Queensland, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

NEW ZEALAND
===========
  server: auckland.nz.undernet.org 6667
 machine: iconz.co.nz 202.14.100.2
location: Internet Company of New Zealand, Auckland, New Zealand.

     VOLUNTEERING

Respond by e-mail if you would like to help in keeping the Parkinsons
channel operating during the evening hours in your time zone. If your
internet service provider allows you free hours at certain times or
weekends perhaps you could volunteer for those times.

Get your IRC software, get it installed and join us.

John Cottingham    "The parkinsn list brings Knowledge, Comfort, Hope, and
                    Friendship to the parkinsonian world."
                    Parkinson's Chat on the Undernet 8:30 PM CST -6 Daily.
                    If you access the Internet through a provider with a
[log in to unmask]     PPP/SLIP account, free IRC chat software is available. WFD