(This note is 47 lines long. You may want to save it and read it later at
your leisure).
This is for Darlene and  the many other caregivers who truly strive to do the
right thing for their loved one(s) but know that if they overdo, their own
health will be increasingly compromised and that will not help anyone.  I
think it's difficult in a group like this, which is a mix of caregivers and
patient, for the caregivers to openly voice the extent of stress they endure
for fear of alarming or offending the many patients who are at various stages
of their disorder and all trying bravely to carry on.  I hesitate myself to
speak openly about this. All I will say at this time is that I have spent my
entire adult life (that is 33 years...I'm 51 right now) as sole caregiver or
manager of care for persons in my immediate family with PD. I can tell you
that it helps immeasureably when the patient (1) is independent enough to
contribute to their own care but not obstructive to those who are earnestly
trying to help them, (2) has a positive attitude (not just for themselves but
for the sake of their families as well), and (3) trys to keep their sense of
humor. I have had one with a positive attitude and one with a not so positive
attitude and  it does make a difference in the caregiver's own emotional
state. On the other hand, you can't compare the circumstances of one patient
with another even within the same family.

As a caregiver, you need to find a way to have significant outside interests
beyond the caregiving situation. During my 3+ decades in this role, I managed
to finish my education, raise my children, and so far, work fulltime at my
profession. I spend very little time wondering how I got into this situation
or feeling sorry about it because that is not productive. I am "solutions"
oriented and just deal with each challenge as it arises because I must. So
with the help of the patient him or herself and outside assistance at some
point in the course of things, it can be done. It truly is hard to find good
outside help and it can become costly. I had intermittent day help for
awhile, eventually a livein aide (which ultimately did not work out because
she had very little relief herself and so burned out), and ultimately, in one
case, hospitalization was required and nursing home care became a blessing.
If I have learned anything in my life it has been that one never knows what
course he/she will take until the situation arises and requires a decision.
 Therefore, I've learned not to pass judgment on anyone else as they make
decisions about issues I could not even imagine until I was faced with them
myself. Darlene, if nursing home care becomes a necessity, you have to shop
around to meet your loved one's and your needs. I have not checked the
archives here yet but am sure there must be info on this topic. Cleanliness
for me was very important; the overall happiness (and appearance) of the
residents was telling; be sure the place meets your needs in terms of level
of care, and check the ratio of caregivers to patients. I went around and
interviewed staff, volunteers (important to have good volunteer program) and
patients in several places. Talk to patients and see if they think their
needs are being met in the nursing home. Sounds tiring but just do it
systematically with a positive attitude and take a friend along. There are
many other issues to consider as well including finances. You just have to
ask for specific information and be assertive about it. I took notes and
compared places. One thing I wasn't counting on was the wonderful new
dimension involvement with a nursing home meant for me personally once we
found an optimal place. It's great to go visit your loved one and be so
warmly welcomed by so many other people who are also glad to see you. It's
even more fun to find ways to bring a little cheer to them like playing the
piano for them, or bringing your kids in to play violin for them (great
experience for kids too), taking them for walks or just talking. Before I
needed to be involved with a nursing home, I regretably had never set foot
inside one.

I wish you, Darlene, and anyone else in a similar situation (notice I don't
say "in your situation" because no two people are in the same situation), all
the strength in the world to continue coping with your large responsiblity
and with your own health problems.  You will find a way. A lot would be lost
were it not for the diligence of good caregivers. I think patients need to
take care of their caregivers at least in terms of emotional support.
Everyone needs a cheerleader now and then. Who better to do the job than the
patient. Wouldn't it be neat to have a forum on ways patients have found to
take care of their caregivers?

God bless you all.

Delana Vaughan